Auschwitz concentration camp
When I stood in the place where millions of people were imprisoned and murdered,I thought what conditions must have been here from 1940-1945,especially in the winter.It was already very cold outside in the middle of October.
数百万人の人々が収容され、虐殺されていったこの地に降り立った時、1940〜45年にかけて、一体どれほど劣悪な状況に置かされていたのだろうと想像した。特に冬の間。私が訪れた10月中旬には、既に身を切る様な寒さだった。
The largest concentration and extermination camp established on Polish soil,Oswiecim.Most of those brought to the camp were Jews.
最大規模の絶滅強制収容所が、ポーランドのオフィシエンチムに建設されたが、そこで死亡した多くがユダヤ人だった。
I joined an English tour.We passed through the gate the ironic words "Arbeit Macht Frei" which means "Work will make you free."The sign displayed today is actually a replica.The original was stolen in 2009.
私は今回英語のツアーに参加した。まず最初に、皮肉的な表現である"Arbeit Macht Frei" ="働けば自由になる"と書かれたゲートを通り過ぎた。オリジナルが2009年に盗まれ、現在あるのはレプリカだそうだ。
The high electric barbed wire fences which surrounded the entire area.
以前高圧電気が流れていた有刺鉄線が、敷地内全体に張り巡らされている。
When you are visiting blocks with exhibitions there are corridors with thousands of pictures of prisoners hanging on the walls.I want you to look at the faces of real people not only numbers.
展示品が陳列されているブロックを訪れたら、廊下の壁にかかった何千もの収容者の写真を目にすると思う。どうか、数字だけではなく、実際にここで生きようとした一人一人の顔をしっかりと見つめてほしい。
A selection of prosthesis from the victims.
犠牲者の義足等の人工装具。
Shoes from the prisoners.
収容者の靴の一部。
Prisoners were given very little food like watery soup made with rotten vegetables and meat,a few ounces of bread,a bit of margarine and a bitter drink resembling coffee with these vessels.
収容者は一日にほんのわずかな食事しか与えられなかった。これらの容器に、腐った野菜や肉で作られた水っぽいスープ、わずかなパンと少量のマーガリンにコーヒーに似た苦く濁った飲み物を提供されていた。それでいて毎日劣悪な衛生環境の中、過酷な労働を強いられていたのだから、一日を生き抜くことがどれだけ大変なことであったか、簡単に想像できる。
A section of suitcases belonging to prisoners.They were instructed to mark their suitcases for later identification.On some of the suitcases is the word "WAISENKIND" which means orphan.
収容者の所持品の一部。彼らは後の身分証になるという理由で、名前と住所等を書くように命じられた。スーツケースの中に"WAISENKIND"と書かれた文字があるけれど、それは孤児という意味だ。
Hundreds of tins of shoe polish displayed.They arrived they were thinking actually coming to a work camp,where they could stay and survive the war.
展示品の靴用ワックスの缶の数々。彼らは到着するまで労働収容所へ連れて来られるものだと思い、戦争を生き延びること想定して、このようなものを持参した。
Cans of cyclon B used in the gas chambers for killing prisoners on a massive scale.
大量虐殺の為に使用された、使用済みの毒ガスの缶。
This wall was used as an execution point for political prisoners.They were shot there.The courtyard is enclosed by high walls.
この壁は、もともと政治犯とされた人々の死刑執行に使用されていた。彼らはこの壁の前で撃ち殺された。この中庭は、四方に渡り周囲を高い壁で覆われている。
Collective gallows.
The largest execution was carried out on July 19,1943,when 12 Poles suspected of helping three other prisoners to escape and of maintaining contracts with the outside world were hanged together.
集団絞首台。最大規模の死刑が執行されたのは、1943年7月19日。3人の収容者を助けようとし、外部と連絡をとり続けた疑いをかけられた12人のポーランド人が、絞首刑に処された。
The gas chamber in the main Auschwitz camp.
When the gas chambers were full,an SS man put on the gas mask,went to the roof,opened the little window there and threw a can of cyclon B into the gas chamber.
アウシュビッツにあるガス室。
ガス室がいっぱいになると、SSはガスマスクを装着し、屋根に登って小さな窓を開け、そこから中へガス缶を投げ入れていた。
It was very eerie to walk through.In places you can see scratches in the walls from the people who suffered and died there.
中は不気味な空気が立ちこめていた。この中で、苦しみながら死んでいった人々の無数の引っ搔き傷を壁に見ることが出来る。
I'm gonna write a report of Birkenau concentration camp next.
I think I don't have to write down a lot of practical information cause there is a very good official website and you can find everything there.
But as you know,this is also my daunting challenge to express what I want to say in English.
次回、ビルケナウ強制収容所のレポートを書きます。
今は事実を知るのに良いサイトが沢山あるので、つらつらここで書く必要はないのかもしれません。
が、承知の通り、いつか英語で自分の想いをきちんと伝えられるようになる為に、大きな挑戦ですが、英語で日記を書き続けます。
xoxo,Hitomi♥
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿